Akwesasne Election Law Community Consultations
(Akwesasne, June 22, 2017) The Akwesasne Election Law is the successor law governing elections for the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne pursuant MCR 2005/2006-#192.
Council expressed a need to amend the Akwesasne Election Law.
On August 25, 2015, Council passed MCR 2015/2016-#111 to form a Working Task Group (WTG). The mandate of the WTG was to “provide a comprehensive draft Akwesasne Election Law to present to Council for acceptance in principle.”
The Working Task Group submitted the draft Akwesasne Election Law 2017 which was accepted in principle by MCR 2017/2018-#046 and reaffirmed by MCR 2017/2018-#064.
The amendment process will follow the section 18 Amendments of the current Akwesasne Election Law by:
- Providing a copy of the draft amendments;
- Holding public information meetings to explain the proposed amendments and the note the comments, suggestions, concerns and recommendations of the people;
- Deciding which recommendations shall be incorporated into the final draft;
- Provide a summary of the changes after the consultation meetings;
- Call for a vote on whether to accept the amendments on whether or not to accept the proposed amendments.
The communication consultation meetings and education process for this review will begin with the following schedule of community meetings in each district:
- Thursday, July 13th, 2017 at 2pm in the District of Kanatakon at the Kanatakon School Gymnasium.
- Saturday, July 22nd, 2017 2pm in the District of Kawehnoke at the Kawehnoke Recreation.
- Thursday, August 3rd, 2017 at 6pm in the District of Tsi Snaihne at the Homemakers.
Copies of the new draft Akwesasne Election Law 2017 will be mailed to each box holder under the jurisdiction of Mohawk Council of Akwesasne. Copies will also be available at the Community Consultation meetings, District meetings, and all Mohawk Council Administration buildings. All consultation meetings will be recorded.
The week of August 30th the Working Task Group will review the community consultation results and prepare a final version of the Akwesasne Election Law 2017 for ratification.
Final ratification is anticipated for mid- September 2017, at a Special General Meeting, 12p.m., at a location to be determined.
Questions regarding this announcement can be forwarded to the Akwesasne Justice Department by calling 575-2250 extension 2400.