Call-Out For Akwesasne Claims Advisory Committee
Ohiarihko:wa / July 14, 2015
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne (MCA) Aboriginal Rights and Research Office (ARRO) is looking for Akwesasne Community Members to fill vacancies on the Claims Advisory Committee.
MCA established the Claims Advisory Committee for the purpose of providing guidance and community input to the Tsikaristisere/Dundee Land Claim Negotiation Team. The role of the Claims Advisory Committee is important, as its members provide input to the settlement of key issues for the ongoing negotiations of the Tsikaristisere/Dundee. The MCA also looks to the Claims Advisory Committee for its advice on future land claim negotiations and proceedings.
A number of representatives from each district are being sought:
TSI SNAIHNE (SNYE): 3
KANATAKON (ST. REGIS): 2
KAWEHNOKE (CORNWALL ISLAND): 1
US Southern Portion: 2
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review historical, negotiation, communication material and other material as required.
- Provide advice, support, guidance and assistance to the MCA Principal Negotiation Team.
- Meet on a regular basis with MCA’s Principle Negotiation Team to advance negotiations of various MCA claims.
- Have the opportunity to meet with external Negotiator(s), at key intervals or as the need arises.
- Participate in meetings when required to bring about final settlement of outstanding issues.
- Provide experience and advice relating to the development of agreements in principle, final agreements, proceeds of settlement, communication plans and other essential process documents.
- Maintain confidentiality as required.
- Communicate with the Akwesasne Community about the agreements before them.
- Be a member who is community minded and has demonstrated an on-going commitment to the Akwesasne Community.
For more information on requirements or to express your interest please contact:
Cactus Cook-Sunday at (613) 575-2348 Ext: 2205