Community Call-Out For Mohawk Council Housing Authority
Seskeha / August 25, 2015
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne is seeking three community members to sit on the Mohawk Council Housing Authority. These individuals will represent the community’s perspective and interests on the Housing Authority, which is also made up of MCA staff and chiefs.
One representative from each district (Kana:takon, Kawehno:ke and Tsi Snaihne) is being sought. The community representatives will be expected to attend regular Housing Authority meetings every fourth Wednesday of the month from 9 a.m to 12 p.m. No honorariums or remuneration will be offered for these positions/seats.
As per the Housing Authority Charter:
- Community representatives are chosen through an informal selection process undertaken by the Housing Director and three Portfolio Chiefs.
- Community representatives must be 18 years of age or older and be enrolled on the Akwesasne Membership rolls, and reside within the Territory of the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne.
- Community representatives are selected on the basis of their good character and reputation in the community as well as their interest in housing issues.
- Individuals who are directly or indirectly involved in any facet of housing construction are not eligible for membership.
- If there is a lack of interest from the community there will be no community representation on the Housing Authority.
Community members interested in representing either Kana:takon, Kawehno:ke or Tsi Snaihne must submit a letter of interest to the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne Housing Department, 13 Hilltop Drive, St. Regis, Akwesasne, Quebec, H0M 1A0. Deadline to apply is September 18, 2014 at 4 p.m.
If you have any questions, please contact the Housing Department at 613-575-2250 Ext. 2300.